Hasan Çelebi was born in 1937 in Erzurum. He worked as an imam hatip in various mosques. In 1964, he started studying khatt with Khattat Halim Özyazıcı, Hamit Aytaç and Kemal Batanay. He took his thuluth and naskh license from Hamit Bey in 1975, and his ta’liq and ruq’ah license from Kemal Bey in 1981. In 1977, he was commissioned to write the scriptures of Atatürk University Theology Mosque in Erzurum; in 1981, to write the scriptures of the Organization of the Islamic Conference in Jeddah; and in 1983, to do the restoration of the scriptures of Masjid al-Nabi. Çelebi, who took part in many projects both at home and abroad, opened his first solo exhibition in Research Center for Islamic History, Art and Culture (IRCICA) in Istanbul in 1982. He held exhibitions in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) in 1984; and in Amman, where he went with an invitation from Hasan B. Talla, Prince of Jordan, in 1985. In 1987, Çelebi stayed in Medina for a year to write the scriptures of the Quba Masjid. In 1994, he held the "30 Years in the Art of Khatt" exhibition in IRCICA. Çelebi also participated in many classical Turkish handicrafts exhibitions both in Turkey and abroad. He has been giving khatt classes since 1976 and has given licenses to fifty-two of his students so far, both from Turkey and abroad. He was awarded with the Silver Tulip Award in ‘Khatt Meeting’ organized by the Association of Traditional Arts in 2007 for his contributions to the art of khatt.